While foods are not going to make you instantly sleepy or work like a sleeping pill, there are certain foods high in an amino acid called tryptophan which may help induce a sense of calm relaxation
If you do find you are feeling hungry after 7:30pm (ie your last big meal of the day) try to stick to ‘sleep friendly’ foods for a pre-bedtime snack.
Also incorporate at least one of these foods into your evening meal.
- Poultry: Chicken, Turkey, Duck
- Complex Carbohydrates: Whole Grain Bread, Brown Rice, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes (eat with poultry for dinner)
- Avocados (mix with Greens, Nuts and Salmon for Dinner Salad)
- Tree Nuts: Almonds, Cashes, Walnuts, Pecans, Macadamia Nuts
- Yoghurt & Honey with Banana
- Whole Grain Crackers with Nut Butter
- Full Fat Organic cow or goats milk (Warm frothed milk with honey OR as cold drink with whole grain crackers or nuts for snack) OR oat mylk for a vegan option (although it is not high in tryptophan but many still find it relaxing, make sure it is one without added sugars)